Tuesday 18 October 2011

Review: The boys

소녀시대 3집 - 더 보이즈
★★★/★★★★★


I got the album today and I've been going through all songs..
Here is my review for each song:

01. 더 보이즈 (Korean ver.) ★★★★
A very new style, a power song with edge!

02. 텔레파시(Telepathy) ★
Reminds of a song back from early 2000's. It's catchy but not my cup of tea, I've heard it too many times before.

03. Say yes ★
Too girly and too sweet? It feels a bit weird after hearing the power song "The boys". I think this song fits one of all the new younger girlbands..

04. TRICK ★★
Back to grown up girls? The chorus gets to me really easy.. still not WOW

05. 봄날(How great is your love) ★★★★
A sweet ballad, I like the lyrics and music..
It's a typical song I'll listen to in the morning on the bus

06. My J ★★
Sounds like an old song I used to like a lot. Or a song from a musical or some kind of musical related show. It's a bit too sweet for me...

07. OSCAR ★★★★
Again a fierce?! song or at least with some attitude! I like both lyrics and music

08. Top Secret ★★★
I wonder how this one will sound live? The lyrics are not special but still it gets to me fast!

09. Lazy Girl(Dolce Far Niente) ★
I don't know but once again... it's old and a bit boring. The music is catchy here and there but not enough to catch my full attention

10. 제자리걸음(Sunflower) ★★★★
Another ballad, sounds like the end of a movie! They really try to reach high notes, higher than normal.

11. 비타민(VITAMIN) -
Taken from a CF? I don't know about the lyrics to be honest, the music is fine but nothing to praise. surprised they have this song to be honest

12. MR. TAXI(Korean ver.) ★★★★
I still wonder why they changed the beginning of the song in the Korean version. I do like it in Korean.. maybe even more than the Japanese? then again I'm not sure if it's because my Korean is better ^^
But compare to other songs they've released in Jap/Kor.. this one is good in both languages!

13. 더 보이즈/The Boys (English ver.) ★★★★
I wasn't sure about this first, Many Koreans have difficult to pronounce words in English and many times I can't even hear what they are saying. However in all the girls did a great job!
I'm not sure if I like this or the Korean version the most ^^



In all it's a so-so album. To be honest I liked their Japanese album much much more. I'm not sure if it's because I had higher expectations or what the reason is?
But I wasn't a fan of Oh! either, Just like that album it had some great songs but overall it's just so-so. I wouldn't call this album bad, but I'm not overjoyed!
Then again it might take some time before I get used to it, but a great album should be great the first time you hear it right?!
Also I wished they would have had included a Korean ver. of Bad girl. Because that's a song I've been hooked on but I guess you can't have it all (^^;;)

No comments: