Sunday 17 April 2016

What to eat in Seoul (Part 3 - Gwanghwamun, Jongno, Insadong)

In this area a lot of my fave places have actually disappeared. This is the bad part about Seoul.
You see something and think, I will go there next time. You come back and it's gone!
But there are a few places left that I'd strongly recommend, as for the other places in this area, take a look for yourself and choose!
I used to have this Bibimbap restaurant. I know it's a famous dish all around the world and there are many places. But THIS one was so awesome!! I have to search and see if they moved because this place was so good. I also had a chicken place but it also disappeared!
Anyway, here's a few...

Gwanghwamun, Jongno and Insadong areas

1. 미진 (Mijin)


Address: 24 Jongno 1(il)-ga, Jongno-gu

I got introduced by a friend of mine, and this is such a simple dish and this restaurant is so good. I have introduced several friends, all loved it. Their main dish is memil/soba (buckwheat noodles). I prefer them cold at this place. Not much to say, just delicious and simple!
It's close to my fave bookstore - Kyobo, as well.. so I went here a lot ^^

Take Line 5 to Gwanghwamun, take exit 4, pass by Kyobo, look for T-world, it's next too it.
Or Take Line 1 to Jongak exit 1 keep straight, it's on your right.


2. 서울 파이낸스센터 (SFC mall)


Address: 84,Taepyeongno 1(il)-ga,Jung-gu

This place is called Seoul Finance Center, aka SFC mall, I found it by chance many years ago.
Go to basement floor, you will find lots of places to eat!
After my first time, me and a few friends came back several times, there are so many places to eat and the prices varies. they also have lunch specials. we have tried Japanese curry, sushi, naengmyeon, bbq and so on. Also, Coffee bean Tea Leaf, it's really quiet here during office hours, so if you are able to have a "late" lunch, go for it.

Take Line 1 to City Hall and take exit 4, walk straight, turn second right.
or Take Line 5 to Gwanghwamun walk straight, turn left on the first after the stream.


3.  광장시장 (Gwangjang Market)


Address: 88 Changgyeonggung-ro,Jongno-gu

This market has a big variation. I bought a hanbok here, custom made. It was a few years ago, but it was cheap and great service. If you are looking for a hanbok. Go here!!
Anyway back to the foods, you can find lots of different foods, my fave is mung bean pancakes.
There are several places. It's cheap and you can jump from place to place! It's kinda noisy but that's a part of the whole experience.

Take Line 1 to Jongno 5-ga and take Exit 8.
You can also walk around in Jogno starting from Jonggak station (Line 1) and keep walking down the main road. There are lots of shows along this main street.

4. 수요일 전통찻집(Suyoil JeontongChajib)



Address: 23 Gwanhun-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul

I found this place by chance many years ago, and it is still there. In this area you can find many traditional restaurants and cafes.All are not good, but this one is a must visit. It has a great location on the main road in Insadong. The name is Suyoil Jeontong Cha Jib which means Wednesday Trad. Tea House.

Take Line 1 to Jongak station, Line 1, 3 or 5 to Jongno 3-ga station, or Line 3 to Anguk Station.
Yes there are many ways to get there. it's slightly longer from Jonggak but it's simple, just along the arcade and exit at the end left, walk straight until you come to Insadong and turn left and follow the road. If you get off at Jongno 3-ga use exit 4 or 6. And Anguk Station take Exit 6.


As for other places around Insadong, I don't remember the names of any place at the moment, I know exactly where they are located but I don't remember the names.
Anyway I'm heading to Korea next week, will take a look again and come back to the Insadong area!

More to come!


Also see What to eat in Seoul part 1 Myeongdong and What to eat in Seoul part 2 Edae/Sinchon

No comments: