Saturday 12 March 2016

What to eat in Seoul (Part 2 - E-dae/Sinchon)

This area is what I call home. I used to live in the middle of it all!
Here you find it all, food, shopping, movies, jjimjilbang and fun. Sometimes I forbade myself to go out as it meant I'd spend money!
This is part 2 and I have been thinking about this. I know so many places but I cannot recall the names, I just know where they are located..embarrassing ^^;;
But in my defense, I wasn't really planning to share at first. However a lot of friends always ask me for places to visit as they know I know some awesome places. And to be honest, the reason why I know these is a lot because of my Korean friends, they were the first ones to introduce me!

Anyway, here's Part 2.
For Part 3 I might mix a few places together...hehe

How to get here: Metro/Subway Line 2 
신촌역 Sinchon station (Do not mix it up with Sincheon station close to Jamsil)
이대역 E-dae (Ewha Womens University station)


1. 공릉닭한마리 (Gongreung Dalkhanmari)


Address: 54 Yonsei-ro 2da-gil, Seodaemun-gu

This is my absolute fave restaurant and foods in Seoul!
When I lived here, I did not only live a block away, since I found this place I visited it once a week for several months. We'd come around the same time and day every week, we almost got our own private table lol. This is very simple food, a whole cooked chicken in a delicious broth. It comes with a less spicy kimchi, some veggies and a lot of garlic!! I love to add noodles to the dish, and if possible..make a porridge at the end. I haven't been able to do it a lot of time, since I got full already at the noodle part.
You sit on the floor here, but it's worth it. I even got my parents to do it TWICE!!

This place is a MUST VISIT in Seoul!



Take Exit 1 at E-dae (Ewha womens university) station. follow the main road.
Takes around 5 min to walk



2. 하늘본닭춘천명동닭갈비
(Hanul bon dalk chuncheon myeong dong dalkkalbi)


Address: 31-86 Changcheon-dong,Seodaemun-gu

I remember it as 춘천명동닭갈비 but it seems they have changed name and looks.
But the food is the same! You can find this dish all over Korea. But this is one of the best places I have ever eaten this. This is located close to Sinchon station and Yonsei Univ. It's great to share with friends and have have open until late.
You can mix a lot of things, and that's whats great! But be aware of the smell..haha
And ask for an apron!


Take Exit 3 at Sinchon station, follow the main street, it's around 4-5min walk.



3. 팔색삼겹살 (Palsaek samgyeopsal)

Address: Mihwa building 107-111 Nogosan-dong, Mapo-gu

This place serves pork belly, it's a pork bbq place and it's 8 different kinds of it.
Well they do have other foods too - beef bbq, kimchi stew, seafood stew and bibimbaps. But the best foods is the pork! I went here with friends back in 2010, we have a fun time, the interior is nice and the food was delicious! It's quite noisy but a fun experience!
Don't forget the apron!!


Take Exit 7 at Sinchon station, follow Baekbeum-ro, takes around 5 min


4. 고기부페 (BBQ Buffet)


I don't think the one exist any more, but there are still others.
Around student areas like Sinchon you can find Gogi buffet places, aka BBQ buffet.
The prices varies between 7 000-11 000won usually, the more expensive means more side dishes!
It's a great place to take friends and family, everybody enjoys it. And Korean BBQ doesn't have to be expensive!! Just keep your eyes open for 뷔페 or 부페..which means buffet/all you can eat!






5. 길거리 음식 (떡갈비)

Address: Sinchon-ro
Take exit 1 at E-dae/Ewha station and walk 20-30 meters you will find street stall that sells a delicious street food called Ddeokkalbi. It really fooled me, this place was the very first place I tasted it. And the name etc made me think this dish ALWAYS came with ddeok (rice cake) inside.
But NO that's not the case. Anyway, this little meat and ricecake on a stick cost 1 000 won (aprox 1 dollar) The stall is open from noon to 11pm.
Don't miss this one!! It was my absolute fave street stall snack in Korea all time! (with ddeokbokki as an exception) You can ask for spicy or less spicy sauce!



6. 어바웃샤브 (About Shabu)
Address: 54-1 Daehyeon-dong, Seodaemun-gu

Okay, gonna be honest, I have never been to this branch. I used to go to the one in Myeong Dong, but it closed some years ago. But I found they have this in E-dae! It's a chain so the food is pretty much the same! I love shabu shabu and it's great to eat with friends!! There are many things to mix. And this is especially good during the colder seasons!
Don't miss it!

Take exit 3 at E-dae station and walk straight, aprox 4 min.


7. 신선설농탕 (Shin Seolleongtang)

Address: 5-38 Changcheon-dong,Seodaemun-gu

This is also a chain and be found all around Seoul.
Anyway this is one of the place I visited the most. My parents think this food is really blend for being Korean food. But I love it. It is kinda blend if you don't eat it with kimchi!
This place serves one of the best chain kimchi and kakkdugi!! I could go here to only eat that.
And the dumplings (mandu) are HUGE!!!

Take Exit 3 at Sinchon station and follow the main road, turn left at the crossing keep right.
takes around 7 min


8. 아비꼬
Address: 54-6 Daehyeon-dong,Seodaemun-gu

TBA

Official Homepage

9. 민들레영토 (Mindeulleyeongto *MINTO*)



Address: 5-50 Changcheon-dong,Seodaemun-gu

This is a small secret, this cafe is more known as Minto, you go there, pay 5000won (At least that's what I paid last time) and you are entitled to free drinks for 3 hours. You re-use your cup.
You can also pay more for other stuff, foods and pastries etc.
Anyway, they also have private rooms where you can sit and study. It's perfect for students. I used to spend a lot of times here doing homework and just hang out with friends. I even took my mum here, she enjoyed it a lot. So far I like the one in Sinchon the most. I have also been in Daehakno and Jongno (Samcheondong).

Take Exit 3 at Sinchon station and follow the main road, turn left at the crossing keep right.
takes around 7 min



10. 커피빈 앤드 티 리프 - 신촌역앞점
(Coffee bean and tea leaf - Sinchon train station ap)

Address: 27-27 Daehyeon-dong,Seodaemun-gu

I probably have one fave Coffee bean place in most areas in Seoul.
But honestly this got to be my fave. it's located on a side street, not very crowded.
I loved to go here to do my home work. Also when in this area I always drag friends here.
Although it's a chain, I come here any day! They have a section for smoking, which is good as I cannot stand smoke. The sun also shines through here making it a warm and cozy. There are always people but not over crowded like the coffee bean on the main street towards Edae.
The cafe is located on the second floor of the building!


Take exit 1 at E-dae station, follow the main road, turn right on Sinchonyeok-ro walk down towards Sinchon train station, it's on your right hand side.


No comments: