Tuesday 17 October 2017

Ramen Sunday @ BLY

My hubby and I went for dinner at Blue Light Yokohama. They only serve ramen on Sundays so it's necessary to reserve a table. We came on time and got our table, the menu was tiny.. I somewhat expected more. But maybe I should have read more.
The place was half full but the staff ran around like it was fully booked. To me they needed to be a bit more organized and not having to run around like crazy and be "stressed".
It took over 30 min to get the food, a long time for ramen! And especially since that's the only thing on the menu, the broth should have had been made, noodles pre-made (ordered from Japan) cooking time should have been minimal, the condiments as well should have had been pre-made.




Let's break it down.
We chose the tonkotsu (pork based one), I went for the spicy garlic miso and hubby for the traditional.

Broth ★
Super tasty, as good as in Japan.
I loved the garlic and miso taste to mine.
For the normal one, hubby loved it. For me there was one tiny minor, it could have had been a bit more porky.
We ate all soup!!

Noodles 
A huge disappointment. These are bought ones from Japan and I have no idea but they seems to have been cut! I have never ever eaten so short ramen noodles in my entire life! I want to slurp my ramen, it was not possible! Noodles were a bit undercooked making them more chewy and it felt more like eating spaghetti.

Char Siu 
For our taste, the pork belly had way too much fat and not enough meat, not so much flavour making us disappointed.I don't have an issue to eat fat from pork belly, but why serve the fatty parts only?

Egg 
Way too over boiled for an egg to be a ramen topping. the yolk was not soft at all like all of the eggs I have had in Japan. Such a disappointment!! I have never had such hard boiled egg before.

Other 
Not sure why they added benishoga, to me it would have had been more fit with more scallions. However the ginger taste gave a good taste to the broth so in a way it made the flavours nice!
The beansprouts where a bit crunchy like they should.



Overall 
It's way better than Ki-mama ramen in Stockholm. But there were a a lot of things I was disappointed with. Would I go back? Based on this dinner, No I wouldn't. But I'd love to try their other dishes - sushi etc.
So far I'd say Totemo ramen is the best ramen I have had in Stockholm! And I expected BLY to be way better than this, not at all a genuine Japanese experience!!!
I still find it hard to understand how they could miss out on so many things, especially since that's the only item on the menu. I mean..to boil a "softer" boiled egg, how hard can it be?
But their broth was AMAZING, I could go back and only eat that ^^


#BLY #Ramen #RamenSunday #BluelightYokohama #Åsögatan #Food #Stockholm

No comments: