Saturday 28 January 2012

I cannot remember!

Taken back in 2008 when visiting SEOUL LAND and taking a ride in SkyX with my class

Lately when people ask my age I have to think for a few minutes!
How old am I...really?
You see why I'm dealing with this problem is because of the Korean vs Western way of using age.
In Korea you add 1 year every New Year, in Korea they believe that you already are 1 year old when you are born into this world, as you were created aprox 9 months before and have been living inside your mothers womb.

However being born in August makes the age difference 2 years for 8 months. Since New Years = 1 year older, then actual birthday is in August.
Living in Korea I adapt to the Korean way of saying my age.
In Sweden people do not normally ask age, it's more taboo.

As it's January now... I'm still 23 SWEDISH/Western age, but I'm 25 KOREAN age.

Difficult to understand? Maybe... at least it's hard to keep a track on ^^

No comments: