Wednesday 22 January 2014

What can I say or do...?



Two days ago it was known that potentially over a million expatriates have been left out in cold in the largest financial data theft case in Korea’s history!!
And...I might be one of them.
Not that I have much money on my Korean bank account or anything, but I cannot know at all.

And in Korean times we could read following:
According to the Financial Supervisory Service (FSS), as of the second quarter last year, seven credit card firms, including KB Kookmin, Samsung, Shinhan, and Lotte have about 280,000 foreign customers, up from 240,000 in the first quarter.

“We haven’t yet been informed of cases involving foreigners whose personal data was leaked,” an official from the FSS said. “But that doesn’t mean that foreign residents’ personal information was not stolen.”
He admitted that the current measures focus on Koreans, as they did not have enough time to take care of foreigners.

I do understand their worry about Koreans living in Korea too.. But also imagine for us outside Korea who cannot do ANYTHING!!

In total we are talking about 20 million people’s personal information that has been leaked. That's almost half the Korean population!!
And of these, 200 000 foreigners.

I use KB Koomin Bank and they said that information leaks are estimated to have hit some 970 000 foreign customers and it plans to inform them of the leak.
I wonder how? I mean I'm in Sweden, so by calling to my old phone or sending a letter to my "Korean address" won't do anything.

After the incident was made public, Friday, the credit card firms in question posted a letter of apology on their website and quickly started to allow customers to check whether their information was stolen. Their websites were temporarily down on Monday morning, due to too many people trying to get an access.

Of course, it broke down... the whole population are worried!!
I wonder if I will be able to check it in any way, maybe email my bank agent!?

Quotes, photo, and full article: Korean times

No comments: